Play In The Bay Sport & Social Club Coed Basketball Rules
Players: 3 men and 2 women or 3* women and 2 men
* See “Players” below for detailed rules
Equipment: Men’s regulation ball
Timing: Two 20 minute running halves
Coed Guidelines: Men guard Men, Women guard Women
Coed Rule: Men may not block a women’s shot attempt, no dunking
PBSSC Coed Basketball follows the guidelines of NCAA Men’s Basketball with these
- All players must wear their team issued PBSSC jersey
- Illegal equipment includes the following:
- All jewelry (ie: barrettes, rings, string bracelets, rubber bands, eye rings, etc.)
- A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable (soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance - even though covered with soft padding when worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm.
- 3 men and 2 women, or 3 women and 2 men may play on the court. If 3 women are chosen to play at one time then the 3rd woman must be designated by a different color shirt (provided by the team). This woman may have her shot blocked legally.
- Teams must have at least 4 players present to start a game (2 women, 2 men OR 3 women, 1 man OR 3 men, 1 woman). If at least four players are not present at the scheduled game time, a forfeit will be declared. The winning team will receive 10 points. Additionally, if a team no shows or gives less than 24 hr notice, they will be charged $50 and the offended team will receive the funds.
- A speaking captain shall be designated for each team. He or she alone may approach the officials with questions. Individuals designated as coaches will be considered team players.
- The game will consist of two 20-minute halves, with three minutes between halves. The clock will run continuously throughout the game until the two minutes of the 2nd half.
- During the last two minutes of the 2nd half the clock will stop during all dead balls.
- Game time is forfeit time!!
- Each team will be allowed (2) time-outs per half. A timeout is 30 seconds and the clock will stop for those 30 seconds.
- Overtimes will be one minute in length and the clock will stop during all dead balls. Only one time-out is allowed each team in each overtime period. Time-outs not used during regulation play CANNOT be used in overtime periods.
- This league is intended to be a social league where men and women have equal opportunity to play competitive basketball.
- Because of height, speed, and quickness advantages men are encouraged to guard men and women are encouraged to guard women.
- Good sportsmanship is required. Arguing with officials or other players is prohibited and may result in a technical foul.
Men may not block a women’s shot attempt. Any contact with the ball on a shot attempt will be considered a goaltending violation. Simply raising your arms does not count as a blocked shot and the defender must make contact on the ball.
**This rule is not in effect if a team plays with 3 women on the court. The 3rd woman must be designated with a different color shirt than both teams (provided by the player) and may have her shot blocked legally.
- NCAA rules will be in effect unless otherwise stated
- Bonus One-on-One free throws will be awarded on the 7th team foul
- Two free throws will be awarded on the 10th team foul
- Men may not block a women’s shot attempt
- Players may enter the lane as soon as the shooter releases the ball
- Shooter must remain behind the line until the ball contacts the rim or backboard
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DUNKING. Dunking is a technical foul.
Player disqualification results from:
- Accumulating 5 personal fouls (technical fouls count as personal fouls)
- 2 technical fouls (1 game suspension)
- 1 flagrant or excessive foul (1 game suspension)
- A player who is removed from the game may face stronger penalties depending on the severity of the incident
Team disqualification results from:
- 4 technical fouls accumulated by players or team in a single game Team may be eliminated from post-season tournament play
- A game stopped by the official for misconduct.
Team Captains are responsible for fans. A technical foul will be assessed to the team captain/bench if fans are acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.